The Top Family Get-Togethers in Lynchburg and Surrounding Areas
The Best Lynchburg Area Family Weekend Events
Exploring Lynchburg: An Overview
Lynchburg, often referred to as the “City of Seven Hills”, is a small city tucked in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. With its rich history, beautiful outdoors, and vibrant arts scene, it’s no surprise that families are migrating towards this city for weekend getaways.
This blog post aims to offer an extensive guide on the best family weekend events around Lynchburg area. Let’s dive into a world of art fairs, sporting events, historical tours, farmer’s markets, and so much more!
Each event listed has been hand-picked based on its popularity, suitability for families, positive customer reviews, and unique features, ensuring your weekends in Lynchburg are nothing short of memorable. Take for instance, the Lynchburg Community Market which happens every Saturday.
- The bustling activity of the market.
- The array of freshly picked, local produce.
- Unique crafts sold by local artisans.
- The experience of tasting homemade jellies.
- A chance to meet the locals of Lynchburg.
- The relaxing ambiance of the historic downtown location.
Artistic Adventures: Art Fairs and Festivals
Heaps of artistic talent thrives in Lynchburg, making it a go-to attraction for those who appreciate fine arts and crafts. Every year, numerous art-related events are hosted around town where local craftsmen showcase their extraordinary work, much to the marvel of visitors and residents alike.
Embedded within these art fairs are interactive sessions designed just for kids, making it a perfect sneak peek into the artist’s world for the little ones. For those desiring more than just visual arts, there are music performances and food booths complementing the events, transforming it into a full-on festival.
Taking this artistic odyssey with family in Lynchburg can turn any ordinary weekend into an extraordinary experience. A common favorite is the Lynchburg Art Festival that usually happens in September.
- Enjoy over 140 artists showcasing their artwork.
- The vibrant carnival atmosphere of the event.
- Different types of art forms represented from paintings to pottery.
- Foods units serving local delicacies.
- Live music performances to entertain all ages.
- Kids’ corner for budding artists.
Sporty Sagas: Athletics and Other Outdoor Activities
For sport-loving families, Lynchburg has no shortage of athletic events happening around every weekend. From minor league baseball games to soccer matches, these activities promise families a day filled with competition, cheering, excitement and – not to forget – popcorns!
Apart from spectating, there are ample opportunities for kids to jump into action as well. Children’s sports clinics are frequently organized, offering fun-filled learning experiences. If you dig a bit adventurous, numerous parks and trails around Lynchburg offer great hiking and camping options too.
A popular event site is Lynchburg’s City Stadium, famous for Hillcats baseball games.
- Crowd-pulling baseball matches.
- The adrenaline rush of a close game.
- Fun and engaging in-game activities.
- The joy of having your favorite game food.
- Kids getting to meet the team mascot, Southpaw.
- Fireworks after certain games making it a perfect ending.
Stepping Back in Time: Historical Tours
Lynchburg’s intriguing history goes back to more than 200 years, giving birth to many historical sites worth touring. These tours offer a great educational experience while also providing interesting stories and facts about the city.
These guided tours are typically family-friendly and sometimes even tailored according to children’s appealing interests. You get to walk around vintage buildings, Civil War sites, old cemeteries and learn about famous personalities who once called Lynchburg home.
One of these popular spots is Old City Cemetery, where you embark on a journey of history.
- The graveyard tales that unfold as you visit.
- The knowledge of horticulture gained from the antique rose garden.
- An insight into 19th-century life through various exhibits.
- Engagement in interesting scavenger hunts.
- Exploration of the Chapel and Station House Museum.
- The calmness and serenity within the urban setting.
Night Sky Marvels: Astronomy Nights
There’s something incredibly magical about gazing at the star-filled night sky; that magic amplifies when you do it with your family. Luckily for you, Lynchburg hosts several astronomy nights where telescopes are set up under the clear skies for the public.
Not only do you get to see distant planets and constellations, there are often trained astronomers present to elaborate on the mysteries of the universe. It’s a fun, educational and an awe-inspiring experience that both kids and adults can enjoy together.
Consider spending an evening at Jones Memorial Library’s Astronomy Night.
- The excitement of spotting distant stars and planets.
- Fascinating lessons from experienced astronomers.
- Learning about different celestial events.
- An ideal romantic spot for couples.
- The mesmerizing view of the night sky.
- Mingling with others who share the same passion for astronomy.
Market Magic: Farmers’ Markets
A weekend morning spent at a farmers’ market is always a good idea for many reasons – fresh produce, local delicacies, handmade crafts as well as lively atmosphere are just a few to name! Lynchburg hosts some notable farmers’ markets that turn shopping into a fun family outing.
Not only can you buy pure, freshly picked fruits and vegetables, but these markets also offer homemade jams, breads, soaps and more. Most importantly, by bringing your kids along, you instill in them the value of locally grown food and supporting small businesses.
The Forest Farmer’s Market stands out among the rest.
- Quality goods offered by friendly vendors.
- A variety of fresh fruits and vegetables options.
- Homemade sweet treats like pastries and donuts.
- Various types of cheeses, meats and eggs directly from farms.
- Handmade crafts perfect as unique gifts.
- Children learning about food sourcing directly from farmers.
|Event Category||Recommended Event||Highlights|
|Arts Events||Lynchburg Art Festival||140+ artists, live music, food, kids’ corner|
|Sports Events||Hillcats Baseball Games||Exciting matches, in-game activities, meets with Southpaw|
|Historical Tours||Old City Cemetery Tour||Graveyard tales, 19th-century exhibits, scavenger hunts|
|Astronomy Nights||Jones Memorial Library’s Astronomy Night||Stargazing, astronomy lessons, celestial event learning|
|Farmers’ Markets||Forest Farmer’s Market||Fresh produce, homemade goodies, kids’ learning|
Now it is clear why Lynchburg boasts the title of being a family-friendly city. The variety in experiences offered at these events makes sure that there’s something for every member in the family to enjoy. Here’s to creating great family memories in Lynchburg! Make sure you pack your enthusiasm as there’s no shortage of adventures and fun this city has to offer to each one of you.