Move Over Moms: 5 Daddy Bloggers Who Should Be on Your Radar
Lifestyle| | By Sierra McCleary-Harris
We’re all familiar with mommy bloggers. Whether or not you can name a favorite, you definitely know they exist and are immensely popular — and for good reason! Parenting is hard; after all, there are countless adages expressing just that: “It takes a village;” ”It’s just a phase;” “If you think this is bad, just wait until they start walking/talking/driving.” For years, moms have dominated the parenting blogosphere. That is, until recently.
Enter the Dad 2.0 Summit.
Typically held over a weekend mid-summer, the summit seeks to connect influential dads, media, and marketers.
Founders Doug French and John Pacini have outlined a simple vision. Last year, they told Esquire, “We envision a world where parents won’t blink an eye when a dad is offered several weeks of paid paternity leave, or when he eagerly agrees to take it. They’ll find it completely normal to see a dad fight for the type of family he believes in. They won’t remember a time when access to both parents wasn’t universally considered in the child’s best interest.”
Similar to mommy blogs, daddy blogs are written by both stay-at-home fathers and members of the outside-the-home workforce. The variety is notable, with blog topics featuring everything from serious lessons on being a modern parent to lighter, even mildly profane humor.
No matter what you’re looking for, there’s bound to be a daddy blog that resonates with you. Here are a few to get you started!
- How to Daddoo: Founded by 30-something-year-old Danny (or Daddoo, as his wife, Rachel, affectionately refers to him), How to Daddoo chronicles Danny’s adventures in fatherhood. He describes the blog as “a clueless man-child’s humorous go-to-guide, a Dadding 101 and even a ‘What Not to Do’ when it comes to being a dad, with loving undertones.” The blog was nominated for a 2017 Northern Blog Award.
- Daddy Freckle: Despite the best intentions and high emotional intelligence, sometimes life is hectic and full of change, and we don’t necessarily make the optimal decisions we are capable of. Mike, the blog’s not yet 30-year-old founder, deals with that in a recent, humble yet humorous post. (Bonus for all the moms reading this: Mother Freckle!)
- The Unlikely Dad: Founded by 33-year-old Tom, Unlikely Dad chronicles the dad’s life as he and his husband parent their two sons. He tackles everything from how much screen time his sons get and soft play to living as an out man in the United Kingdom and adoption. If nothing else, check it out for some FOMO-worthy IG pics of him and his adorable family.
- That Dad Blog: This blog’s tagline says it best, “A dad’s blog about life with his six kids, one of who is blessed with Down syndrome and the ability of flight.” Alan, the blog’s founder, talks homeschooling, travel and more not only on his blog, but also across his Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook profiles, too. If you’re wondering, rightfully so, about that flying bit, pay a visit to Alan’s blog.
- 8BitDad: A little different from the other blogs featured here, 8BitDad is written by friend duo Bryan Ferguson and Zach Rosenberg. “We hail from the 1980s generation when only 8-bit video games existed. Call us geeks, nerdy, or tech-nostalgic fathers, we have created a website for all lovers of the old school,” they write on the blog. Don’t be fooled though; they have a podcast, so how old school can they really be? You be the judge.
Don’t forget to SHARE this roundup of daddy blogs with the all of the dads in your life!